Our origins can be traced to the Fall of 1916 when a group of community leaders set aside 300 dollars, and donated lumber from the dismantled Court House, to build the first hospital in Fort Myers. That first hospital, Lee County Hospital, a two story, four room, 10 bed, wooden building was the beginning of community health care in our area.
Today, Lee Health consists of four acute care hospitals: Lee Memorial Hospital, HealthPark Medical Center, Gulf Coast Medical Center and Cape Coral Hospital, and two speciality hospitals: Golisano Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida and The Rehabilitation Hospital. With a total of 1426 beds, and over 1 million patient contacts each year, this makes Lee Health the largest public health system in the state of Florida, receiving no direct tax support.
Supported by more than 13,000 dedicated employees and 4,500 volunteers and auxilians, Lee Health remains the bedrock of our community by offering acute care, emergency care, rehabilitative and diagnostic services, health and wellness education, community outreach and advocacy programs throughout the five county region. We continue to invest back into our community to improve facilities, add services and extending care to those who need it most - in their own back yard.
In the nearly 100 years since opening our first hospital, our dedication to our community - the people with whom we live and work - has been at the core of Lee Health's mission, values and strategic planning principles.
We are Lee Health: Caring People. Inspiring Health..
Mission , Vision, Values
To continue to meet the health care needs and improve the health status of the people of Southwest Florida.
To be the best patient-and-family-centered health care system by working collaboratively to deliver excellence in quality, safety, efficiency and compassion.
We are committed to values of safety, quality, service, compassion and teamwork.
- Founded in 1916*
- More than 11,800 employees and more than 4,500 volunteers
- More than 250 employed primary care and specialty physicians with more than 25 office and outpatient locations:**
- More than 1,100 physicians on the medical staff
- Four acute care hospitals and two specialty hospitals
- Number of Total Beds: 1,423
- Cape Coral Hospital – 291 beds
- Gulf Coast Medical Center – 356 beds
- HealthPark Medical Center – 267 beds
- Lee Memorial Hospital – 355 beds
- The Rehabilitation Hospital – 60 beds
- Golisano Children’s Hospital of Southwest Florida – 101 beds
*First opened as Lee County Hospital and later became Lee Memorial Hospital.
**Lee Physician Group and Lee Convenient Care Offices.
- Lee Memorial Health System (Lee Health) is the largest not-for-profit public health system in Florida that receives no direct tax support
- More than 1 million patient contacts each year
- Lee Memorial Health System provided more than $54.8 million in charity care in 2016
- Governed by a publicly elected, 10-member Board of Directors
- Has the only state approved Level II Trauma Center between Bradenton and Miami
- Golisano Children’s Hospital of Southwest Florida is the only comprehensive children’s hospital between Tampa and Miami.
- Golisano Children’s Hospital has the only Regional Perinatal Intensive Care Center in the area, which has the best survival rates in the state. Our RPICC is only one of 11 certified in the state.
- Golisano Children’s Hospital has the only Level III neonatal intensive care unit between Tampa and Miami.
- Lee Memorial Health System is one of the most active joint replacement centers in the United States.
- The Rehabilitation Hospital is the only licensed comprehensive inpatient rehabilitation facility in Lee County.
- Lee Memorial Health System’s Regional Cancer Center is the only comprehensive cancer center of its kind in Southwest Florida. A partnership between Lee Memorial Health System, 21st Century Oncology and Florida Cancer Specialists, Regional Cancer Center offers the latest treatments and technologies. Regional Cancer Center also has a unique partnership with Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, which allows us to better serve our patients by providing access to advanced academic programs, clinical protocols and the expertise of renowned cancer researchers.
- Lee Physician Group offices and Lee Memorial Health System now use electronic health records (EHRs). Patients also have access to their medical record through MyChart, which provides secure and direct online access to portions of the EHR, including lab results, appointment information, medications, immunizations and much more.