Who We Are and What We Do
The Golisano Children’s Hospital of Southwest Florida is on a mission to provide the best, most compassionate care for your child. Our Emergency Department treats a variety of conditions for children of all ages including respiratory issues, bleeding, severe pain, broken bones, or any medical condition that makes a parent or caregiver uncomfortable.
No matter the illness, our staff of more than 75 clinical providers — which sees more than 2,500 patients each month – will quickly assess the situation and put a focused plan into action.
Learn more about the Emergency Department at Golisano Children's Hospital of Southwest Florida
We are a team dedicated to specialized care for your child. We aim for short wait times for our patients, who will benefit from the latest in comfort, technology, and expertise.
Why Choose Us?
We are the only Emergency Department in Lee County that is geared specifically toward children.
Our entire staff is trained and certified in pediatrics, and we have access to all the newest technology and research to improve health care for children.
But it goes beyond that: We understand that children are not just small adults – they need cutting-edge care in an environment that soothes anxiety and fear. Our training ensures we operate in a different way than normal Emergency Departments, and we adjust our approach according to children’s ages and developmental levels.
We understand that children are not just small adults – they need cutting-edge care in an environment that soothes anxiety and fear.
You’ll notice a distinct feel from the moment you walk in: From the layout, to the treatment rooms, to the supplies and equipment, to the friendly smiles – the Golisano Children’s Hospital Emergency Department prides itself on its knowledge, special atmosphere, and unwavering dedication to your child’s healing and comfort.
We want to make your unplanned visit a positive experience.
Take a peek inside our Emergency Department and see some of our treatment areas and patient rooms as well as our bright colors, sense of fun on special dress-up days, and unwavering spirit.Meet the team!
What to Expect When You Visit
- Children and their families enter the Emergency Department on the second floor of the Golisano Children’s Hospital by driving up a short ramp to a special parking zone.
- A registered nurse and official registrar will greet the patient and their family at the intake desk and gather important information: Your child’s name and age, symptoms, medical history, and anything else a parent or caregiver feels is relevant. This information ensures your child gets in the right bed and receives the appropriate level of care as quickly as possible.
- Next up is the LEAN Care track, which is a faster way for us to evaluate your child. This system, which started in May, has decreased the time it takes for your child to see a doctor by 50 percent.
- Your child follows a path to one of several specialty rooms for procedures and treatment. The decorations and unique features along the way will add to your comfort, and the staff’s training in how to relay important information will help reduce stress.
- Children with life-threatening conditions are treated first. But our goal is for every patient to have a wait time of less than 20 minutes.
What Tests Will We Perform?
The Emergency Department will perform any necessary tests and techniques to correctly diagnose and treat your child. This includes observation, blood and urine tests, X-rays, advanced imaging technology, CT scans, and MRIs. Our compassionate team understands that many of the tests can be scary for a child – but we are trained to soothe fears and lighten the atmosphere while still ensuring top quality care.
We also have various special treatments just for children:
- A bedside ultrasound helps make children extra comfortable. The bedside unit guides us in placing IVs, assists in inserting a breathing tube for critical patients, and helps us diagnose abdominal complaints.
- Bedside point-of-care testing allows for many laboratory tests to be run right in a child’s room. That means we can provide comfort and get results within minutes.
- Specialty stretchers for extra comfort make testing easier for both children and care providers.
- Giraffe warmers provide a warm, comfortable, supportive environment for neonatal patients and newborns.
- Bear Hugger machines that warm up patients who might be severely cold.
After Your Visit
What happens if your child needs to be admitted to the hospital after treatment in the Emergency Department? Well, our staff is trained to help you every step of the way. We have onsite representatives who will walk caregivers and patients through the process and help make the transition as easy as possible.
Children who are discharged will be referred back to their primary care physician or a specialty physician if required. But we can help you there, too: We have Emergency Department schedulers who are in our department from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. seven days a week to make any necessary appointments and phone calls for your family.
What Special Features are Available?
The Golisano Children’s Hospital Emergency Department has a wide variety of special features to help lighten the load during your visit:
- All our supplies and equipment cater to pediatric-sized patients. That includes our beds and even the furniture in our waiting area. There are also plenty of toys and games as well as bright, warm colors throughout the department.
- The staff regularly takes part in dress-up days to promote a fun atmosphere. This helps remove a child’s fear of clinicians and also distracts them from pain, treatments, and other procedures.
- Dog therapy: A lovable furry friend visits four to five times a week to provide some cheer and reduce anxiety.
- The Emergency Department has trained and experienced child life specialists, social workers, pharmacists, and clinical educators who will be there for your family. They answer all kinds of questions -- big and small -- about treatment, billing, medical options, and anything else you can think of to help give you peace of mind.
- It’s time to POP IT! This new program – which stands for Pain Management, One Voice, Position, Involve Family and Telephone Child Life – decreases anxiety and pain. Patients, family, and clinical teams are involved from start to finish so children can better cope with painful procedures. We also use alternative methods for pain and sedation based on scientific evidence and national research – methods that always highlight children’s comfort.
- Staff members at the Emergency Department have the ability to admit your child to the hospital if necessary. That includes access to the pediatric intensive care unit, the hematology/oncology department, burn services, dialysis, and more. We also care for children who have special needs, substance abuse issues, or those who require psychiatric care.
- We employ protocols to improve the care of children who have asthma, bronchiolitis, and croup – all with the goal of decreasing the need to admit your child to the hospital.
- We rely on vigorous scientific and medical research to help ease children’s anxiety with the help of intranasal medications.