Lung disease - resourcesResources - lung disease
The following organizations are good resources for information on lung disease:
Lung disease is any problem in the lungs that prevents the lungs from working properly. There are three main types of lung disease:Airway diseases -...
- American Lung Association -- www.lung.org
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute -- www.nhlbi.nih.gov
Resources for specific lung diseases:
- American Academy of Allergy Asthma and Immunology -- www.aaaai.org/conditions-and-treatments/asthma
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention -- www.cdc.gov/asthma
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute -- www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/asthma
Emphysema/COPD (chronic obstructive pulmonary disease):
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention -- www.cdc.gov/copd
- COPD Foundation -- www.copdfoundation.org
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute -- www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/education-and-awareness/copd-learn-more-breathe-better
- Cystic Fibrosis Foundation -- www.cff.org
- March of Dimes -- www.marchofdimes.org/complications/cystic-fibrosis-and-your-baby.aspx
- National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute -- www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health-topics/cystic-fibrosis
Normal lung anatomy - illustration
The lungs are a major part of respiratory system. The function of the respiratory system is to supply the body with oxygen and get rid of carbon dioxide.
Normal lung anatomy
Review Date: 10/21/2018
Reviewed By: Jennifer K. Mannheim, ARNP, Medical Staff, Department of Psychiatry and Behavioral Health, Seattle Children's Hospital, Seattle, WA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.