Varicose veins - what to ask your doctorWhat to ask your doctor about varicose veins; Venous insufficiency - what to ask your doctor; Vein stripping - what to ask your doctor
Varicose veins are abnormally swollen, twisted, or painful veins that are filled with blood. They most often occur in the legs.
Varicose veins are swollen, twisted, and enlarged veins that you can see under the skin. They are often red or blue in color. They most often appea...
Below are some questions you may want to ask your health care provider to help you take care of your varicose veins.
What are varicose veins?
- What causes them? What makes them worse?
- Do they always cause symptoms?
- What sort of tests do I need if I have varicose veins?
Do I need to treat my varicose veins? If I do not treat them, how quickly will they get worse? Are there serious complications or problems if I do not treat them?
Are there medicines that can treat my varicose veins?
What are compression (or pressure) stockings?
Compression (or pressure) stockings
You wear compression stockings to improve blood flow in your legs. Compression stockings gently squeeze your legs to move blood up your legs. This ...
- Where can I buy them?
- Are there different types?
- Which ones would be best for me?
- Will they get rid of my varicose veins, or will I always need to wear them?
Which procedures for varicose veins do you perform?
- Heat ablation or laser ablation?
- Vein stripping?
Questions to ask about different procedures for varicose veins are:
- How does this treatment work? When would it be a good choice for treating my varicose veins?
- Where is this procedure done? Will I have any scars? What are the risks?
- Will my varicose veins come back after this procedure? Will I still get new varicose veins on my legs? How soon?
- Does this procedure work as well as other treatments for varicose veins?
Goldman MP, Weiss RA. Phlebology and treatment of leg veins. In: Bolognia JL, Schaffer JV, Cerroni L, eds. Dermatology. 4th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2018:chap 155.
Iafrati MD, O'Donnell TF. Varicose veins: surgical treatment. In: Sidawy AN, Perler BA, eds. Rutherford's Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy. 9th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2019:chap 154.
Sadek M, Kabnick LS. Varicose veins: endovenous ablation and sclerotherapy. In: Sidawy AN, Perler BA, eds. Rutherford's Vascular Surgery and Endovascular Therapy. 9th ed. Philadelphia, PA: Elsevier; 2019:chap 155.
Review Date: 7/12/2018
Reviewed By: Laura J. Martin, MD, MPH, ABIM Board Certified in Internal Medicine and Hospice and Palliative Medicine, Atlanta, GA. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, Brenda Conaway, Editorial Director, and the A.D.A.M. Editorial team.