Close


Preventing Poisonous Accidents: May 14, 2019

From medication to cleaning products— Health experts are reminding families to keep potentially dangerous products out of the reach of children. “Unfortunately, kids are curious, and they are going to get into things,” said Sally Kreuscher, child advocacy program coordinator with Golisano Children’s Hospital of Southwest Florida.

Things like Pine Sol and apple juice, medication, and breath mints, and water and rubbing alcohol can all look the same to a child. “When you’re a child, you explore the world with your mouth. And especially if you can’t read, anything that looks similar is going to seem like the same product. Household items, cleaning products, pesticides, even those little hearing-aid batteries, those little button batteries, if ingested are highly, highly toxic, so we are very worried about those things,” said Mark Tesoro, trauma injury prevention educator with Lee Health.

And keep in mind, just because a product says it’s child resistant, does not mean its childproof. “Unfortunately, so many kids end up taking their parents or grandparents or relatives medication, and that’s when they come to visit us,” said Kreuscher.

Lee Health works closely with the Poison Control Center in Miami—and encourages families to keep this number in their phone. 1-800-222-1222.

“If you see a child react in a way that’s not typical for them, or they get stomach aches, or headaches, or sweating, or nausea, the first step is actually to call that poison control number,” said Tesoro.

Keeping potentially poisonous and dangerous products out of a child’s reach—can keep kids safe and prevent an emergency.


Close