Lee County Injury Prevention Coalition Honors Local Leaders
Awards Honor Excellence in Promoting Health and Safety
(Fort Myers, Fla. – Dec. 18, 2017) --- Each year, the Lee County Injury Prevention Coalition presents awards to people and organizations in our community who exhibit excellence in promoting health and safety. The awards were presented at a recent banquet held at the Cape Coral Yacht Club and honored the following people and groups:
- Keri Kratofil, Walgreens pharmacist, was named Lee County Injury Prevention Volunteer of the Year for her work with fall prevention.
- Executive Director of the Lee County Coalition for a Drug-Free Southwest Florida Deborah Comella was named Lee County Injury Prevention Professional of the Year for her efforts with the #REFUSE campaign, the Drug House Odyssey Prevention Program and the Students Against Destructive Decisions clubs. She also brought the Hazelden-Betty Ford Heroin Opiate Prevention program to Lee County.
- The School District of Lee County School Resource Officers was named Lee County Injury Prevention Organization/Agency of the Year. The officers provide protection, but also deliver prevention education in the schools, including Gang Awareness Training Education (GATE), which covers alcohol, drugs, bullying, decision-making, guns, anger management and other topics.
- Associates & Bruce L. Scheiner is the Lee County Injury Prevention Program/Outreach Effort of the Year for their support of the airing of the “Roundabout” public service announcement.
- Ann Pierce-Gardener received the Lee County Injury Prevention Lifetime Achievement Award for her participation with the Southwest Florida Watershed Council, Taking it to the Streets Lee County Committee, BikeWalkLee, the City of Fort Myers Bike Pedestrian Advisory Board, Lee County Community Sustainability Advisory Committee, the Metropolitan Planning Organization’s Citizen’s Advisory Committee and Healthy Lee.
The mission of the Lee County Injury Prevention Coalition is to prevent injury, disability and death through advocacy, education, legislation and partnerships. This multi-disciplinary cooperative includes private and public partners, including:
- Abby Services Home Care for Seniors
- American Red Cross Lee County Chapter
- Area Agency on Aging for Southwest Florida, Inc.
- Estero Fire Rescue
- Florida Department of Health
- Fort Myers Fire Department
- Golisano Children’s Hospital of Southwest Florida
- Lee County Coalition for a Drug-Free Southwest Florida
- Lee County Metropolitan Planning Organization
- Lee County Parks & Recreation
- Lee County Public Safety
- Lee County Sheriff’s Office
- Lee Health
- Lee Health Trauma Center
- National Guard
- Safe Kids Lee/Collier Counties
- South Trail Fire & Rescue
- Southwest Florida Safety Council, Inc.
- Stay Alive, Just Drive
- Step Wise Lee
About Lee Health
Since the opening of the first hospital in 1916, Lee Health has been a health care leader in Southwest Florida, constantly evolving to meet the needs of the community. A non-profit, integrated health care services organization, Lee Health is committed to the well-being of every individual served, focused on healthy living and maintaining good health. Staffed by caring people, inspiring health, services are conveniently located throughout the community in four acute care hospitals, two specialty hospitals, outpatient centers, walk-in medical centers, primary care and specialty physician practices and other services across the continuum of care. Learn more at www.LeeHealth.org
Visit us on the web at: http://www.leehealth.org/publicaffairs/press-releases.asp
Visit us on Twitter at: http://twitter.com/Lee_Health
Visit us on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/LeeHealth