Learn More about Managing Lung Disease
Who We Are: A Team Dedicated To Improving Your Quality of Life
You don’t have to wait another day. Trained and compassionate experts with Lee Health’s COPD Management Program are ready to join forces with you to manage your COPD, give you more control of your breathing, and improve your quality of life.
Our COPD Management Program strives to reduce the time patients and caregivers spend in the emergency room and in the hospital. Our goal is to help our patients resume normal activities and enjoy life.
That means our experts make sure patients understand the disease by providing easy access to tests, treatments, medications, and education. We walk you through every process, take the time to talk and understand your needs, and answer all of your questions along the way.
Some benefits of our COPD Management Program:
- One-on-one education and assessment with a COPD Educator
- We will perform pulmonary function testing to confirm your COPD diagnosis
- A COPD educator will teach patients and families self-management skills in one-on-one sessions
- We will help you to acquire medications, which can be expensive
- Experts will teach COPD patients how to use inhalers and pulse oximetry
- Learn special breathing techniques to help decrease your shortness of breath and strengthen your breathing muscles
- Patients will have better peace of mind and a sense of comfort as they gain knowledge of their disease, get familiar with necessary equipment, and learn to recognize symptoms
- We take the hassle out of your treatment by assisting you with phone calls and appointments
- Staff members will teach you how to improve everyday activities, make important lifestyle changes, and manage shortness of breath
We encourage family and caregivers of COPD patients to attend the one-on-one appointments so they can also become more familiar with the disease. This will help give greater confidence in recognizing signs, symptoms, any change in condition, and it will teach patients how to self-manage the disease.
We may not be able to cure COPD, but Lee Health will work with you to help ease your condition so you can breathe easier and be more engaged in everyday activities. We are proud to be your partners!
For more information about the COPD Management Program, talk to your doctor or call 239-343-0765.
What is COPD?
The primary symptom of chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) -- a progressive lung disease sometimes called emphysema or chronic bronchitis – is the frightening symptom of not being able to properly and consistently breathe.
People who suffer from COPD have a continual inflammation that blocks airflow, and the condition gets worse over time. The American Lung Association says COPD affects 5 percent of the U.S. population –more than 15 million people. COPD is the third leading cause of death in the country.
COPD requires significant education, lots of support, and self-management.
The American Lung Association warns that many people may not realize they suffer from COPD until later stages of the disease. We know that shortness of breath can be a scary symptom—please remember that not being able to consistently breathe is not a normal part of aging.
Call your doctor or health provider today if you experience these symptoms:
- Shortness of breath during normal activities
- A chronic, frequent cough (with or without mucus)
- Respiratory infections
- Blueness of the lips or fingernails
- Tightness in the chest
- Swollen ankles (a lack of oxygen can strain your heart)
- Trouble sleeping (from coughing)
- Feeling tired all of the time
- Loss of weight (breathing with COPD can burn up to 10 times the calories it does for people without COPD)
- Difficulty breathing when lying flat (we recommend you sleep in an armchair or prop your head up with pillows)