Chronic Disease Self-Management Program
Learn to take control of your health
Did you know that more than one in four Americans have multiple chronic health conditions? Those may include arthritis, diabetes, cancer, heart disease, respiratory conditions, and high blood pressure. A diagnosis of one of these conditions can be a setback – but we are here to help you gain control and confidence and find the resources you need to manage your condition.
The “It’s All About You” is a free six-week workshop where you will learn to:
- Live with a chronic health condition
- Make smarter decisions related to healthy eating
- Understand the benefits of exercise
- More easily manage medications
Anyone with a chronic health condition or cares for a loved one with a chronic health condition may attend. You must be 18 years of age or older.
The Patient Education Research Center developed this program more than 20 years ago, and workshops take place nationwide. People who complete the program report better health, decreased emergency room visits, and fewer visits to the hospital.
Workshops take place at various locations throughout Lee County. Call 239-343-9264.
View our program flyer (pdf).
We need volunteers
Trained volunteers lead the “It’s All About You” Chronic Disease Self-Management Program. If you want to help others with chronic health conditions, then this program is for you. Volunteers facilitate at least one six-week workshop on an annual basis. To be a leader, you must:
- Have a chronic health condition
- Be comfortable speaking in front of small groups
- Be outgoing
- Be able to read, write and speak English clearly
- Be willing to teach at hours other than traditional business hours, if necessary
- Model healthy behaviors for workshop participants
To become a certified leader, you must participate in 24 hours of training (over 4 days) and complete one 6-week participant workshop. For more information on becoming a leader, please call 239-343-9265.