Create Your Own Wellness Routine: Food, Nature, Creativity, Physical/Mental HealthCoronavirus (COVID-19)
We’re all spending more time at home these days, and many of us might be missing the structure of our normal day-to-day activities – waking, working, eating, and keeping ourselves healthy with exercise, the right kind of food and mental stimulation.
But there are actually plenty of positives here! In fact, this can be an excellent time to rewrite our own routines, maybe generate some new, healthy habits to help through these times and beyond.
Check below for a few ideas that will help you create your own, personalized wellness routine:
Fuel Up with Healthy Food
- Good health starts within! Try starting the day with a nutrient-dense smoothie.
- Plan for well-rounded meals with plenty of vegetables to support your health. Now is a great time to set a routine for healthy eating and preparing your own meals at home.
- Get creative in the kitchen! Test out a new recipe you’ve been wanting to try. See the sidebar above for one of our Cooking with Kat videos!
Connect with Nature to Support Wellbeing
- Taking in nature helps us to unwind from daily stressors. It is important to follow local guidelines and use precaution when venturing outside. That being said, the great outdoors can be closer than we think!
- Spending time on the patio, balcony, or even on a chair outside the front door can be a beneficial way to take in the sunshine, fresh air, and colors of nature.
- Use any extra time at home to exercise your green thumb! Watering and tending to your garden, no matter how small, is a rewarding task that helps soothe away tension.
- Here’s a quick pic of just one of the many things growing at the Lee Health Coconut Point Teaching Garden:
Tap into Your Creative Side
- Spending time cultivating your creativity is an easy way to refocus the mind toward enjoying the present moment. You don’t have to consider yourself an artist – just express yourself!
- Use free time to pick up an instrument you used to play, or try learning a new one! There are many online resources for learning to play music.
- Coloring and drawing is fun for all ages. Simply picking up a marker and drawing what comes to mind is a technique that helps us center into the now moment and express what we are experiencing within.
Maintain Physical & Mental Health at Home
- With many fitness instructors filming classes for at-home participants, it is easier than ever to turn the living room into a fitness zone! Always listen to your body and consult your health provider as needed—be sure to do exercises that are safe and comfortable for you.
- Visit the Lee Health Healthy Life Center page on Facebook for new fitness and meditation content posted throughout the week by our Instructors and Exercise Specialists.
Now is the perfect time to set a lasting meditation routine! Anyone can meditate, and doing so helps us to establish and maintain a calm, centered state, despite circumstances outside of our control. Start with a few long, deep breaths, and this 3-minute guided meditation:
Get a great cooking tip on perfect quinoa from Kat Galeos, community outreach dietitian at Lee Health Coconut Point.