A Healthy - and Tasty - Snack? It’s PossibleExercise and Nutrition
Author name: Lee Health
The Super Bowl may be over, but there will likely be another house or sports party soon (March Madness?) for family and friends.
Two of Lee Health’s registered dietitians, Ashley Lovetere and Gina Skaronea, are here to share this tasty buffalo wings recipe that you can use at your next party. Lovetere and Skaronea teach the FARMacy RX Cooking Classes at Lee Health’s demonstration kitchens at LeeSar.
Vegan Cauliflower Buffalo Wings
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 1 cup water
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegan butter, melted
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or a silicone mat.
- Wash and cut cauliflower into bite-sized pieces.
- In a large bowl, add water, flour, garlic, and onion powder, and salt. Whisk until well combined.
- Add the cauliflower to the batter in the bowl and toss to combine. Remove the pieces of cauliflower, one by one, and tap off the excess batter a few times on the side of the bowl. Place the prepared baking sheet and make sure they are not touching each other, or they will all get stuck together as they bake!
- Bake for 15 minutes. Flip them over and bake for 10 more minutes until golden brown.
- While the cauliflower is baking, prepare the hot sauce/butter mixture. Melt the butter in a saucepan on the stove over medium heat. Once melted, add the hot sauce and stir. Set aside.
- Brush the buffalo/vegan butter sauce on each cauliflower wing, or toss the florets with the sauce in a large bowl, then return to the pan. Put them back in the oven for 20 minutes. Remove, and serve with Vegan Ranch dressing and celery, if desired.