General Health Information
- MedlinePlus (consumer oriented database/website of health information from the National Library of Medicine and the National Institutes of Health, also available in Spanish and in over 40 other languages - includes videos, slide presentations, and easy-to-read texts for visually impaired)
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) Family Health -consumer health education section of CDC for children,teenagers, and for parents
- Consumer Health Resources in Many Languages Resources from the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, this pathfinder collects resources from a variety of sources on medical topics in multiple languages.
Health Information for Specific Population Groups
- National Institute on Aging NIH database of health and life style-related information for seniors
- NICU Resources for Parents - books and handouts available in Lee Health libraries & links to pertinent websites.
- Anesthesia for Pediatric Patients - information for children preparing for surgery and for their parents (includes downloadable coloring book for children) - from the American Society of Anesthesiologists.
- KidsHealth - information on how the body works, illnesses, injuries, puberty, growing up, how to stay healthy and safe, and questions you have - provided by the Nemours Foundation - in English and in Spanish.
- TeensHealth - questions answered by experts on all teenage health-related subjects - wellness, illnesses and injuries, behavioral problems, reproductive issues - provided by the Nemours Foundation - in English and in Spanish.
- National Women's Health Information Center - health information and thousands of health publications on special topics like pregnancy, breastfeeding, body image, HIV/AIDS, girls health, heart health, menopause and hormone therapy, mental health, quitting smoking, violence against women, statistics and daily news on women's health, and a calendar of women's health events. Information available by phone or via website in Spanish and English. Office of Minority Health - U.S. Department of Health and Human Services's database of health and medication information, health care services, preventive medicine, tutorials, videos, etc. in English and in Spanish
Health Information for Specific Conditions
- American Diabetes Association Everything you need to know about diabetes, its diagnosis, management, medications, recipes, local contacts - in English and in Spanish
- American Heart Association - Getting Healthy (informational center on nutrition, fitness for adults and children, weight and stress management, smoking cessation methods)
- National Cancer Institute (cancer-related health information for professionals and for patients in English and in Spanish)
Medications and Supplements
- Drug Information Portal - information about brand and generic drugs from the National Library of Medicine
- PillBox website developed to aid in the identification of unknown pills (oral solid dosage form medications). It combines images of pills with appearance and other information to enable users to visually search for and identify oral solid dosage form medications. Once a pill has been identified, additional information is provided, including brand/generic name, ingredients, and the National Drug File identification number. Links are provided to NLM drug information resources, such as drug labels from DailyMed and the Drug Information Portal, which searches NIH and FDA drug information resources.
Dietary Supplement Label Database full label derived information from dietary supplement products marketed in the U.S. with a Web-based user interface that provides ready access to label information including warning notes - from the National Library of Medicine
Note: The information in the DSLD reflects what manufacturers print on their labels. The information is not corrected. The values and claims are not reviewed for compliance with official regulations.
- National Institute of Health - Office of Dietary Supplements- facts about weight loss dietary supplements including evidence-based rating on effectiveness of the products.
Food, Nutrition, and Diet Resources
- USDA Food and Nutrition Information Center- dietary guidelines; food safety reports; Dietary Reference Intake; DRI calculator; MyPlate and Historical Food Pyramid resources; Fraud and Nutrition Misinformation; Interactive Tools to monitor individuals eating habits, calories intake, etc.
- FDA US Food and Drug Administration - recalls, market withdrawals, and safety alerts
- Food Safety - from the government agency: food recalls; tips on safe handling and food preparations; symptoms and treatment of food poisoning; reporting food poisoning
- MedlinePlus - How to Read Food Labels - what to look for and how to interpret information on the labels
Cosmetics & Household Products Safety
- Household Products Database - Health & safety information on household products including house maintenance, personal care, pet care, products names, manufacturers, ingredients, health effects - from the U.S. Department of Health & Human Services
- FDA: US Food and Drugs Administration- searchable by product category, selected cosmetic ingredients, or by a potential contaminants
Local Support Groups and Other Resources
- Lee Health Community Health Education Programs - open to public classes and workshops on preventing and managing chronic conditions. Registration required.
- Asthma Management Program - classes, contacts
- Birth Education - information about Lee Health-based classes and support groups: childbirth preparation, lactation, baby CPR, car safety, and safe baby sitting.
- Cancer Care: Patients & Family Support - meetings, contacts
- HOPE Hospice Grief Support - meetings, contacts
- Obesity in Children - tips from A.D.A.M.
- Pediatric Heart Surgery - Discharge Information (A.D.A.M.)
- Places to Eat & Stay - restaurants and hotels close to our hospitals.
- Vivida Community Connect - a one-stop guide for a host of community services, from low-cost health centers and legal services to food pantries and more.
- Information Request Form - Fill this form if you are a parent/relative of a child in the Golisano Children's Hospital of SW Florida and want to learn more about children's health issues
- Literature Search Form - Use this form to plan your search or to request the library staff to conduct it for you. Please send it to one of our libraries.
Libraries in all Lee Health Hospitals are open to the public. Click here for locations and hours
WE HAVE TIME FOR YOU!!!
Page last updated: March 21st, 2019