Common Allergy Conditions & Treatment
What are allergies?
Allergies are atypical reactions by a person's immune system against a typically harmless substance, called an allergen. Almost anything can be an allergen or cause an allergic reaction, but the most common include:
- Food such as eggs, wheat (gluten), soy, nuts, shellfish and dairy
- Animal dander (often from dogs and cats)
- Drugs and medications (commonly antibiotics)
- Environmental allergens such as dust, mold
- Seasonal allergens such as pollen and plants
- Insect bites (often bee stings)
- Latex (or other substances that come in contact with the skin)
- Viruses and bacteria
Common allergic conditions
Allergies may cause several conditions.
- Eczema / atopic dermatitis: A condition that causes the skin to become inflamed or irritated.
- Hay fever: An inflammation of the nasal airways, typically brought on by allergies to outdoor, airborne materials such as pollen and mold.
- Sinus infection (sinusitis): A condition that causes the cavities around the nasal passages to become inflamed and swollen. Sinus infections are most often caused by allergies, the common cold, bacteria and fungal infections.
- Asthma: A disease of the lungs that causes airways to become blocked or narrowed.
Allergy signs & symptoms
Symptoms that you may have allergies include:
- Itchy eyes, nose and throat
- Difficulty breathing
- Abdominal pain
- Mental confusion or dizziness
Allergy treatment options
Our doctors can help treat allergies and alleviate allergy symptoms through the safe, appropriate and economical use of medicines that help control immune system chemicals released during an allergic reaction.
Allergy Shots (Immunotherapy)
Our doctors can treat allergic reactions by administering regular injections of a small amount of the allergens that trigger the symptoms and progressively increasing doses. The immune system builds up a tolerance to the allergen over time, and allergic reactions diminish.
Our patients have found great relief from their allergy symptoms due to the treatments provided by Lee Health's highly skilled doctors. Our physicians are also highly specialized in treating pediatric allergies and pediatric asthma.
Asthma Management Program
Our program can help you take control of your asthma with testing, skill development, and expert care.