Atrial fibrillation (AFib) -- one of the most common heart rhythm problems -- causes a fast, irregular heartbeat in the heart’s upper chambers. AFib can lead to clots inside the heart. The average person with AFib is five times more likely to suffer a stroke than someone with a normal heartbeat.
The Permanent Alternative
The WATCHMAN™ Device can help people reduce their risk for strokes caused by AFib.
This permanent implant closes off part of the heart where blood clots usually form. Patients need to undergo one minimally invasive procedure that takes about an hour.
And don’t worry about changes to your lifestyle. The WATCHMAN™ Device – about the size of a quarter – allows patients to avoid long time blond thinners (anticoagulants) and can reduce long term bleeding risk.
Why The WATCHMAN™ Device
A WATCHMAN™ Device can:
- Reduce your risk of stroke related to blood clots
- Eliminate having to use blood thinners for life
- Eliminate frequent blood tests related to Warfarin
- Eliminate food-and-drink restrictions caused by Warfarin
In a clinical trail, 9 out of 10 people stopped taking Warfarin (or any other kind of blood thinners) just 45 days after getting a WATCHMAN™ Device.
Award-Winning Cardiology Services
You and your family can feel confident at the care you’ll receive at Lee Health. Our friendly staff takes pride in offering non-surgical options to make you more comfortable. HealthPark Medical Center is one of only three facilities in Florida to be named an IBM Watson Health top performing cardiovascular hospital – and we’ve won it four years in a row.
Meet the experts at Lee Health who perform the WATCHMAN procedure.
M. Erick Burton MD
Lee Physician Group
Dr. Anuj Agarwal, MD is a Cardiology Specialist in Fort Myers, FL who also performs the WATCHMAN procedure. Dr. Agarwal is affiliated with Lee Memorial Health Systems and Gulf Coast Medical Center.
Is The WATCHMAN™ Device right for you?
So how do you know if the WATCHMAN™ Device is right for you? You may be a candidate if you answer YES to the following questions:
- Do you have a history of bleeding or have a lifestyle, occupation, or condition that puts you at risk for bleeding?
- Do you have atrial fibrillation that isn’t caused by a heart valve problem?
- Has your doctor recommended a blood thinner for your AFib?
- Can you take Warfarin (or any other kind of blood thinners) in the short term but need an alternative to long-term blood thinners?
If you think this describes you, then talk to your cardiologist about the WATCHMAN™ Device .