Partners in Parenting the Exceptional Child
Parenting Children with Special Needs and Health Challenges
The Golisano Children’s Hospital of Southwest Florida offers free specialized group parenting classes to teach parents how to focus on their strengths and set appropriate expectations for their children, as well as specialized & effective discipline strategies.
Partners in Parenting Workshops:
- Are adapted for children with special needs/ health care needs, including Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome (NAS).
- Certificates awarded after completion
The positive discipline curriculum is from the Nurturing Parenting Program, authored by Stephen J. Bavolek, Ph.D., which is an effective and successful parenting course.
- The Philosophy and Practices of Nurturing Parenting
- Ages and Stages of Growth adapted for a special needs populations
- Ways to Enhance Positive Brain Development in Children and Teens
- Communicating with Respect
- Building Self-Worth in Children
- Understanding Feelings in our children and ourselves
- Understanding and Developing Family Morals, Values and Rules
- Accepting and understanding specific disabling conditions
- Alternative discipline techniques/strategies
- Learning Positive Ways to Deal with Stress, Anger, and behavior
- Managing and understanding withdrawal symptoms
Whether you are the parent of an infant, toddler or older child, you will learn how to do the following:
- Manage your child’s behavior without spanking or shouting
- Learn effective communication skills
- Establish nurturing routines for meal times, bath times, bedtimes, chores and homework
- Understand the effect on typical siblings
- Gain a sense of personal power and feel good about yourself
- Enjoy your family and have fun together
Classes are offered at the Golisano Children’s Hospital. If interested in attending, contact Child Advocacy at 239-343-6468 or by email at [email protected]. If your child is hospitalized, please contact your social worker.
Golisano Children’s Hospital of Southwest Florida
9981 S HealthPark Dr Fort Myers, FL 33908