Supporting Healing By Reducing Stress
A key part of our comprehensive and compassionate care is our Child Life program, designed to help children understand and cope with medical treatment.
A child life specialist uses evidence-based techniques to make the hospital a kid-friendly place. But their scope goes much further: Their clinical and emotional expertise is an essential part of patient and family care, and they work to ensure a child's emotional and physical development in the face of illness.
Child life specialists will be here for your child every step of the way by communicating through play, connecting on their level, and making them as comfortable as possible.
Contact Us: Reach Out to Child Life Director – Michele King: 239-343-5890 or Supervisor – Danielle Furio: 239-343-5891
Our certified child life specialists work with children, families, medical staff, and the entire health care team to minimize the stress of a hospital experience through the following services:
- Pre-admission and pre-surgical tours
- Activities in the playroom, teen lounge, and bedside
- Preparation for medical tests, procedures, and surgeries
- Educational services, including homebound/hospital teaching and school re-entry program
- Providing a sense of normalcy for children coping with serious health issues
- Reducing stress to help recovery and allow children to cope with their medical situation
- Bereavement support with team members in the PICU and NICU
- Special events such as pet therapy, clowns, as well as planning birthday and holiday celebrations
Related Blog Articles
It's Their Specialty: Child Life Experts Prep Patients With Play
Comfort, distraction, and lots of laughs: Child life specialists make children feel at home so they stay comfortable – and maybe have a little fun – if they have to visit us.
Volunteers Needed for Golisano Children's Hospital
Want to be part of our team? You can spread smiles, help families, and make a difference every day.
Can Music Help Your Child's Development?
Studies suggest learning some tunes improves wellness – from pain to Alzheimer’s and more