COPD Management Program
Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD) is a lung disease in which continual swelling blocks airflow from the lungs. This disease affects 5 percent of the U.S. population and is the third leading cause of death.
COPD requires education, support and self-management to maintain health and quality of life.
COPD management helps patients and caregivers understand the disease by providing access to tests, treatments, medications, rehabilitation and education.
Our respiratory therapists and educators work one-on-one with you to reduce your hospitalizations and emergency room visits.
Through this program, you will:
- Complete testing to confirm COPD diagnosis
- Receive a COPD carrying pack with a spacer, nebulizer kit, COPD Action Plan, and educational CDs
- Learn self-management skills in one-on-one sessions with a COPD educator
- Receive help getting medications, which often are expensive
- Learn how to use inhalers, medical equipment and special breathing techniques
- Gain knowledge of their disease, necessary equipment and recognition of symptoms
- Receive help scheduling doctor appointments
- Improve daily activities with decreased shortness of breath
Family and caregivers are encouraged to attend COPD management appointments to make sure they are familiar with the disease and able to recognize signs and symptoms.
For more information about COPD management, call 239-343-0765.