Year Round Teen Volunteer Program
Gulf Coast Medical Center and Lee Memorial Hospital are currently offering a Year Round TEEN Volunteer Program for students ages 14-17.
The requirements for teen volunteering are as follows:
- Commit to volunteering for 4 consecutive months
- If the commitment is not fulfilled, no credit hours will be awarded
- Work one 3-hour shift per week (same day and time each week)
- Excessive absences and/or tardiness may result in termination with no credit hours awarded
- Provide proof of vaccinations (MMR, Varicella and Flu (during flu season)
- Have a sincere interest in helping others in a caring compassionate and dedicated manner
- Have a professional and positive attitude with the ability to accept supervision graciously
- Attend a new volunteer orientation and interview
- Purchase a Teen Volunteer Shirt
Please note that our volunteer program does not provide the opportunity to shadow physicians, nurses, or other healthcare providers.
Volunteer assignments for teens include (Service Areas and shifts are subject to change based on staffing needs):
- Activities Cart – offer activities, magazines, etc. to patients
- Cafeteria – wipe tables, help with stocking utensils, food
- Food and Nutrition – stock nutrition rooms on the medical floors throughout the hospital
- Information Desk – escort visitors, deliver flowers, etc.
- Medical Units – stocking, organizing, deliver blankets, pillows to patients
- Patient Transport – gather, clean wheelchairs, discharge patients by wheelchair
- Supply Chain – assist with receiving and distributing supplies, check products for expirations dates, organize, etc.
- Surgical Waiting area – greet visitors, escort patients and visitors
Frequently Asked Questions
Q: When do I start volunteering?
A: Once you complete one of our monthly orientations, interview, and provide proof of immunizations, you may begin volunteering. It is usually 10-14 days from orientation.
Q: May I volunteer longer than 4 months?
A: Absolutely. You may volunteer for as long as your schedule permits.
Q: If I don’t like my assignment, may I switch?
A: We ask you volunteer for at least 3 shifts before asking to be reassigned to another area.
Q: What if I don’t want or have any of the required immunizations?
A: You will have to provide a medical or religious exemption that will have to be approved by Employee Health.
Q: When are my credit hours awarded?
A: Once you complete 4-consecutive months of volunteering, we will sign off on any school required forms.
Q: May I take time off?
A: We understand there are times you may not make your shift due to illness, school or family obligations, but excessive absences/tardiness can result in being removed from the program.
Q: May I work a month, then take a month or two off, then come back?
A: No. Your 4-month requirement begins on your first day of work and must continue consecutively.
Q: Am I able to work more than 3 hours a week?
A: Yes, but it would need to be approved on a case by case basis.
Apply to Volunteer!Apply Online
If you feel you are a good candidate for the Year Round Teen Volunteer Program, submit an application.