During sleep, our bodies work to support healthy brain function and maintain our physical health. Many of us don’t give ourselves the proper amount of sleep or place the right amount of importance on it. And our modern world makes sleep even harder with stress, anxiety, and addiction to electronics -- all of which may lead to widespread insomnia. Getting enough sleep helps protect your mental health, physical health, quality of life, and safety.
Nutrition, exercise, stress relief, and lifestyle changes promote relaxation and balance – which leads to better sleep. With our help, you will learn to identify everyday factors and behaviors that keep you from getting the right amount of rest.
Some quick sleep tips:
- Adults working eight hours a day should get eight hours of sleep.
- People in their 70s should get 7 hours of sleep. Remember: a nap during the day is normal.
- A 12-month-old should get 11+1, which is 11 hours of sleep overnight, plus a 1-hour nap during the day.
- A 10-year-old should get 10 hours of sleep overnight.
- High-schoolers should get 9 hours of sleep.